Welcome to Shevlanes, one of Glasgow’s oldest bars!
Shevlanes Bar has been owned and run by the Shevlane family since 1980 when Chris Shevlane former Celtic and Hibs player took it over. The Bar was previously know as the Victoria Bar prior to this. Shevlanes is currently under the stewardship of Paul Shevlane, Chris’s son ably assisted by Yvonne the manager and a great team of staff. The bar sits at the heart of the community of Springburn and hosts many celebrations as well as a few funerals and wakes too. Originally, In 1886 this was a restaurant owned by David Hope. Two years later publican William Moffat took over as the new landlord and In 1897 William McFarlane took over the licence – for years this old pub sold nothing but beer and porter. The McFarlane’s named this popular Springburn hostelry the “Victoria Bar.” Chris Shevlane actually became a Springburn licensee in 1972, taking over The Terminus Bar at the corner of Springburn Road and Elmvale Street which was demolished in 1978 to make way for the new roadway – see the picture below with the McEwans sign on it. To this day you can see scenes of old Springburn on the walls of Shevlanes and some of the people that have frequented the area over the last 125 years.